[X4U] 'doze computers???

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Mon May 26 21:11:06 PDT 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 7:14 PM, Dan A. Currie wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> ... and Steven, please forgive me for what I am about to ask!!
>
> A friend ... and I use the term loosely asked for my help in
> purchasing a laptop ... “strictly for internet surfing, no term
> papers, no games - just surfing!!”
>
> I would like to put him on a Mac but he wants to spend as little as
> possible for the biggest bang available ... and I no absolutely
> nothing about PC laptops ... except that Vista runs better on a Mac!!
>
> Suggestions for particular make and model!!
>
> Dan A. Currie, Jr.

Dan:

Just a personal observation on portable MACS. I have several friends
that have macbooks and the two biggest complaints I have heard from
this are lack of disk space and memory (not enough of). I personally
would steer him clear of the airport .

One of the friends is really upset as IIRC the max is 32G so he has
to strip down his computer. He decided to get another so he could put
Photshop and some big apps and the other he is leaving striped down
for everything else. He has to carry two different computers with him
as a result. The airport security people are *NOT* amused.

I know there are size considerations when it comes to portable
computers but memory and drive space are really key issues. I also
have friends in the PC world that don't have these issues with either
memory or disk space. The most bitching I hear from them are issues
on connectivity wireless and security.

Of course my friends that have Macbooks are carrying external drives
around with them, another airport security gotcha. I have been told
some of the security guards are brain dead types. Its better in
Europe (from what I was told). I have a friend that literally travels
the world Europe/India/China/Singapore/Etc and he never gets hassled
just a glance (is what he tells me).  I told him to steer clear of
the AIRBOOK and I saved him as one of fellow travelers got his
airbook wrecked by the security people.

These people fly business class all over the world and they do tend
to get nicer treatment when it comes to security, but you almost have
to know them by name to get almost no problems.

Ed