[X4U] 'doze computers???

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Mon May 26 21:58:52 PDT 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 11:41 PM, Linda wrote:

> On 5/26/08 11:11 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> Just a personal observation on portable MACS. I have several friends
>> that have macbooks and the two biggest complaints I have heard from
>> this are lack of disk space and memory (not enough of). I personally
>> would steer him clear of the airport .
>>
>> One of the friends is really upset as IIRC the max is 32G so he has
>> to strip down his computer. He decided to get another so he could put
>> Photshop and some big apps and the other he is leaving striped down
>> for everything else. He has to carry two different computers with him
>> as a result. The airport security people are *NOT* amused.
>
> It's "Mac" -- short for "Macintosh" -- not MAC, which is a networking
> acronym. We know what you mean, because we're a Mac list, but out
> in the
> wide world non-Mac users could be confused.
>
> If your friends have such intense computing needs, why on earth did
> they
> purchase MacBooks? MacBook Pros would have been better suited to
> their needs
> -- larger hard disks, more RAM, dedicated video RAM, etc.
>
> ~Linda
>
> Sorry I didn't know we had the spelling police on here.
In any case I did not want to get into the entire story as I was
trying to keep it short and quick.
The company that he works for (named deleted to protect my friends)
they can order just about anything they want (as I mentioned the
airbook). They weren't really Macintosh type people (and they got
what was suggested to them by their in house IT people). From what I
was told the windows people have better memory limits and larger HD's
than do macintosh. Trying to get them off a windows centric
organization was a battle and a half. I think (as it was told to me)
that these people who travel the world are big muckety mucks and they
get what they want. The problem is that their IT staff is semi
sabotaging the the practice of getting macintosh's. If my friend had
sat down with either a friend of mine or myself we might have
suggested a PRO. I have vaguely heard that the Pro still has memory
limitations and I would have to check with friends that are experts
in this area. But the airbook is so limited as to what it can do a
person that is a power user probably wouldn't get past 2nd base with
the "thing". Its nice to have a slim shinning "thing" to wow the
people but if can't do the job then why carry it? In other words all
show and no action.

Ed