[X4U] Re: PRAM Battery Research & Test

Jon jwarms at mac.com
Sat May 31 09:43:19 PDT 2008

Hi-

Continued.

I shut down the Pbook, removed the battery and unplugged the
adaptor cable. And waited about an hour for that capacitor to
discharge. Then I reconnected the power adaptor and
pressed the start button.

The PowerBook started normally, chimes and all. I got a
message about an incorrect time, but while I was reading the
message the clock reset to correct time.

And the same results should be seen on any desktop Mac
without a PRAM battery or with a dead one. In other words,
no disaster, minor inconvenience. This was easiest to
demonstrate on a portable, but through the years I've used
desktops with dead batteries (Mac and dark side) with
similar outcomes. After a while, it's a big PITA, but that's all.

Jon