[X4U] Re: PRAM Battery Research & Test

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sat May 31 11:56:43 PDT 2008

On May 31, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Jon wrote:

> Hi-
>
> Continued.
>
> I shut down the Pbook, removed the battery and unplugged the
> adaptor cable. And waited about an hour for that capacitor to
> discharge. Then I reconnected the power adaptor and
> pressed the start button.
>
> The PowerBook started normally, chimes and all. I got a
> message about an incorrect time, but while I was reading the
> message the clock reset to correct time.

Does that occur when the system is hooked up to the internet? that is
what is what is expect to happen (if you have the "option" to do so
turned on.) .
WHat happens with say a notebook that is not connected and does not
have the "option" to get time from the Internet "on"?

> And the same results should be seen on any desktop Mac
> without a PRAM battery or with a dead one. In other words,
> no disaster, minor inconvenience. This was easiest to
> demonstrate on a portable, but through the years I've used
> desktops with dead batteries (Mac and dark side) with
> similar outcomes. After a while, it's a big PITA, but that's all.
>
> Jon

I would not assume anything but that is just me. I would "guess" that
if a clock is invalid the only way to set it is by manually entering
the date/time, unless the external call to the clocks at Apple or
elsewhere.

I can say if a system clock is invalid in IBM s/360/370/z  hardware
architectures that a system stops processing and "hangs*"(on
purpose). This is a design feature to always ensure a valid clock. I
must agree with IBM on this one**.

Ed

* Actually its a wait state and the only way to get out of it is to
reboot (or IPL which is a reboot)
** In an IBM system there are many system functions that depend on a
working clock that it cannot function without one