[X4U] ssh connection hangs terminal

John Masters johnmasters at me.com
Mon Nov 3 11:52:38 PST 2008

Hi.

I have a VPS which I admin via ssh using ssh keys. When I ran Linux I
would ssh-add the key, connect to the server and it would stay
connected for weeks without problems. Could keep a term open for Mutt
to read mail without a worry.

Connecting to the same server from my iMac things get a little flakey.
If the connection is left open for any length of time (I haven't yet
determined how long but it is less than 2 hours) the connection is
lost, but worse, the terminal hangs. No response to keyboard. I can
close the terminal and reopen but I then have to redo my ssh-add.

Following on from that, assuming I can find a cure, how can I keep the
session alive if I sleep my Mac? Do I set the ServerAliveCountMax in
ssh_config to infinity or set the ServerAliveInterval to some huge
number of seconds?

Regards, john