[X4U] Finder Question

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Nov 18 01:06:55 PST 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 9:13 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

> I am using the finder "button" at the to right of the screen.
>
> What column view option?all I see is spotlight preferences . This is
> most frustrating as it has rarely been for an issue but this time 30
> files scattered all over the place is bad news. I think I have fond
> the items manually opening up 100 folders but as I said manually
> doing this is a PITA.
>
> Ed

What you need to do is close the spotlight window and perform your
search by using the Finder (also known as the DeskTop) to locate your
missing files. Be sure to close ALL active application windows before
performing your search.

Hold the Apple key (the Command key) down and press the "F" key. This
will bring up a dialogue window that has the name "Searching "This
Mac" in the title bar. There is a text field at the top right of that
window.

Enter the name of the file you have lost in the text field and wait a
few seconds for a list of files containing that name to appear in the
lower portion of the search window.

When you click on any one of the files listed in the window, look at
the bottom of the window for a hierarchal listing of the location of
that file. It will be a horizontal listing of the location such as;
"hard drive>applications>folder name> document/file" There may be
differing names to the hard drive and folder because you have used
personal titles for those items, but the idea is that the location
will be at the final name in that list.

You can then drag the individual document/file to your desktop if you
wish and have it immediately available, or you can place it in the
exact location that you want.

Good luck.