[X4U] Application Folder - Permissions for unknown user.

John Erdman jperdman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 06:07:22 PST 2008

I recently looked at the info on my Applications folder. I noticed
that besides Myself (Read & Write Access) and Everyone (No Access)
there are two "users" listed as "(unknown)". The user icons are grayed
out. The first has Read & Write permissions. The second is listed as
Read Only.

Even when I access the Sharing & Permissions to make changes, I am
unable to change either of the unknown's permission levels.

There are no unknown users listed in System Preferences>Accounts.
Guest accounts are disabled. So far I've been unable to discover the
source.

I don't like having unknown entities having write access to my
computer. I suspect these "unknown" users might be related to an Adobe
or Apple updater but I don't know for sure. I'd at least like to know
if this is a normal state of affairs or if I ought to be more concerned.

Should I be concerned?
Who are the Unknown Users?
How can I find out who/what they are?
How can/Should I remove them?