[X4U] New Trojan threatens Macs with installer...

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclifeshow.com
Fri Nov 21 23:53:15 PST 2008

On 11/22/08 7:08 AM, "Randy B. Singer" <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> Who says that I won't cut the Mac press any slack?  They over-
> reacted.  I might have done the same in the same situation.  But,
> unlike Intego when they discovered a new perceived threat, the Mac
> press did have some time to reflect before they reacted.  I don't
> call that doing their job really well.

But why can't the same be said of Intego in the same situation? The found a
threat, sounded the alarm before investigating the threat only to find no
threat at all.

>> Do you really think that, as informed as you seem to be that you
>> might get
>> caught out by some new outbreak?

> It has happened in the Windows world, so I presume it can happen to
> us.

Lots of things happen in the Windows would that make no sense for Mac users
to worry about but I wasn't talking about "us" - I was talking about *you*
specifically.

> I've heard of malware that could infect hundreds of
> thousands of PC's in just hours:
> http://www.yuikee.com.hk/press/release/1999-03_MELISSA.htm.en

Wow! That's......from almost 10 years ago. Is that the best evidence you
have?

> Intego appears to be offering that to Macintosh users looking for it.

And to others, it appears that Intego is selling snake oil.
--
Shawn King
Host/Executive Producer