[X4U] New Trojan threatens Macs with installer...

Kirk McElhearn kirkmc at mac.com
Thu Nov 20 06:58:59 PST 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> Either way, I definitely, actually, absolutely ran into this trojan
> by doing nothing other than a Google search.  Yes, I understand that
> there is no Active X plugin for OSX, but I doubt my parents, wife,
> or friends do.
>
> I think it's a wonderful way to spread a trojan, and that you DON'T
> have to be an idiot to fall for it.
>
> I wish that I had saved the addresses of those sites that popped up.
> I did my exact same Google search, and clicked on every link in the
> first 2 pages of results, and couldn' find the sites again, although
> a couple of them came back as 404 or 403 errors or something when I
> clicked the links....perhaps they're removed already?

Yes, that can happen, as the security companies (the ones derided by
one poster) will often report sites with malicious software to
authorities, such as hosts or ISPs.

This said, if you do find any, you can at least send them to Intego (I
know they have a samples e-mail address:  sample at virusbarrier.com; it
was in their press release last week). I'm sure others do as well.

Kirk
                    Co-author of: Podcasting Pocket Guide
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/ppg.html