Fwd: [X4U] New Trojan threatens Macs with installer...

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Nov 22 19:29:46 PST 2008

On Nov 21, 2008, at 11:53 PM, Shawn King wrote:

> But why can't the same be said of Intego in the same situation? The
> found a
> threat, sounded the alarm before investigating the threat only to
> find no
> threat at all.

Because, once again, they are selling AV software, they aren't
journalists.  What customers want is for Intego to report about new
threats and get out new definitions ASAP.  That's what customers are
paying for.

And even if a new bit of malware has zero distribution, it isn't "no
threat at all."  Any new bit of malware has to be looked upon as a
potential template for future threats.  Many malware threats are
simply slightly modified versions of old threats.

>>> Do you really think that, as informed as you seem to be that you
>>> might get
>>> caught out by some new outbreak?
>
>> It has happened in the Windows world, so I presume it can happen to
>> us.
>
> Lots of things happen in the Windows would that make no sense for
> Mac users
> to worry about

You asked if it was possible to be caught by an outbreak before
hearing about it in the press and on the Internet.  The answer is
that theoretically, based on the best evidence, it is.

> but I wasn't talking about "us" - I was talking about *you*
> specifically.

I answered your question.  I'm not worried for myself.  I don't think
that ordinary Mac users need to have AV software at all.  However,
there are Mac users (a small minority) who have determined that they
do need to have AV software for their needs.  Businesses with
networks would be foolish not to have AV software, for instance.  It
is just prudent.

>> I've heard of malware that could infect hundreds of
>> thousands of PC's in just hours:
>> http://www.yuikee.com.hk/press/release/1999-03_MELISSA.htm.en
>
> Wow! That's......from almost 10 years ago. Is that the best
> evidence you
> have?

I just did a quick Google search for viruses that quickly spread.
I'll leave it to you to do the same if you want other examples.
While the Mac and Windows are different, the general concept of how
malware works is similar.  I'm not foolish enough to believe that the
Macintosh is immune to malware.  I just believe that OS X was
designed to be secure and that it is very very hard to write malware
for it.  After 8 years I wonder if there will ever be an actual virus
for OS X (as opposed to a Trojan Horse, which already exist for the
Mac).  But I don't believe that  it is impossible.

>> Intego appears to be offering that to Macintosh users looking for it.
>
> And to others, it appears that Intego is selling snake oil.

Intego isn't going around telling everyone that they all need to have
AV software.  They offer a product for those folks that feel that
they need AV software, and their product is a really good one.
Actually probably the best one for the Macintosh.  There are those
that feel that just by offering their product and reporting on
potential threats to the Macintosh as they come up that Intego is
engaged in some sort of conspiracy.  I think that view is childish.
They offer a product and they have to promote it, just like anyone
else.  I don't think that they have ever done so irresponsibly.  The
consumer has to make an educated choice as to whether or not they
need such a product.

Most ordinary Mac users feel that there are absolutely no malware
threats that are relevant to Mac users, and that the Mac is immune to
malware.  Neither is true.  There are now several Trojan Horses for
the Mac, and there are a bunch of Word and Excel macro viruses.
These threats aren't terribly common, and they are fairly easy to
avoid if you know how.  So an educated ordinary Mac user can be fine
without any AV software.  But if you are a business person who
exchanges a lot of documents with macros in them, having AV software
is a really good idea.  In fact, if you are a business person at all,
AV software is probably good to have just as a best practice.  If you
regularly engage in risky computing practices (like peer to peer file
sharing services, or surfing a lot of questionable Web sites), it
might be a good idea to have AV software.

I'm not an advocate of using AV software.  Just the opposite, I think
that people who go around telling all Mac users that they need AV
software are full of it.  But I don't think that a company like
Intego (which is a Mac-only company, and they make great products) is
dishonest or evil, and I do think that there are a very few folks who
want and/or need AV software.  For those folks Intego makes an
excellent solution.