[X4U] Re: Re: spotlight question - search for a phrase (Kirk McElhearn)

stephen e. schwartz ses at bnl.gov
Sun Nov 23 16:42:58 PST 2008

Kirk wrote:

>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:09:34 +0100
>From: Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc at mac.com>
>Subject: Re: [X4U] Re: spotlight question - search for a phrase
>To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
>	<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>Spotlight does find all documents containing all words (it's an AND
>search). So you'll just have to open each of the PDF files it finds
>and do a find inside them to see where your string is. But it may have
>the same problem with line breaks, so look just for, say, consonant.

Kirk, thanks for your further reply. But I am _not_ looking for an
AND search; I am looking for a _string_ search. I dont want all the
documents that contain all of the words in the string; I want all
documents that contain the string. Still looking for a way to do this.

I dont beieve its a line break issue either; I chose a phrase that in
at least one document has no line breaks just to avoid that possible
issue. Though I would think that a clever search engine would ignore
line breaks.

Google can find these docunments on the entire web faster and more
accurately than I can on my own mac.

Results 1 - 4 of 4 for "consonant with any agreed upon allowable".
(0.24 seconds)

-steve