[X4U] New Trojan threatens Macs with installer...

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Tue Nov 25 09:31:36 PST 2008

Once upon a time, Apple gave McAfee's Virex free to dotMac subscribers. Then
they stopped, and with the removal of Virex, my Mac became noticeably more
stable and responsive.

Anyway, I have just gone to McAfee's Mac page to check out their current AV
offerings. On their *Mac* page  [ http://shop.mcafee.com/Products/Virex.aspx
] there is a button offering a Free Scan to Check Your Machine Instantly.
Clicking on this button will take you to a page that tells you "Your current
browser is not supported. To download and install McAfee software, your
computer must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later. To
upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, visit the Microsoft Web
site at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads."

Internet Explorer? GFR.

These losers at McAfee are too STUPID to understand what browsers are
current for the Mac, and I am to trust them with protecting me from the
latest and greatest malware?

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

As for the eternal BS about passing along Windows viruses to Windows users,
there are NO uninfected, unprotected Windows PCs to pass them along to. An
unprotected Windows PC is an infected PC.

--
Robert MacLeay
Freelance editorial and creative services