[X4U] Find not always works

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 12:43:36 PST 2008

On 11/25/08, Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:
> On 11/25/08 6:05 AM, "Paul Moortgat" <paul.moortgat at pandora.be> wrote:
>
>> Did you copy the line I mentioned?  I'm using 10.5.5.
>
> Yes, I did (direct copy/paste). I'm on 10.5.5 as well.
>
> I'm on my laptop now, and I get the same behavior. Here's what Terminal
> displays after I type the command:
>
>> WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
>> or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
>> typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.
>>
>> To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.
>>
>> Password:
>
> (Unfortunately, even copying the text from Terminal doesn¼t show the block
> cursor IMMEDIATELY following the colon at the end of <Password:>. There¼s no
> space between the prompt and the cursor, and the cursor isn¼t blinking.
> That¼s just what happened on my Mac Pro. I can¼t type anything, but Terminal
> still responds to the suggested <Ctrl-C>

When Password: pops up, you won't get any indication on the screen when youtype
in your admin password. Just do it and hit the return key. BTW, the warning is
just that, a warning. The command:

sudo mdutil -E /

only removes the current Spotlight index on the boot volume and reindexes it.

One final note. Spotlight indexes the entire volume, but doesn't report
everything when you conduct a search. See
<http://www.pinkmutant.com/articles/Leopard/leospot.html> and my mod to
Finder's Find at <http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6725932>
for what you can change so youcan find stuff.