[X4U] Why does Mail show .wmv files

Andrew J. Yon III ayon3rd at mac.com
Wed Nov 26 13:07:44 PST 2008

On Nov 26, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Charles Schneider wrote:

> What part of this do you not understand!!!!!!!!!
>
> The mov file will play right in mail when I click the play arrow.  I
> know that it is actually using QT to play the movie right in the
> mail viewing window.  In the past wmv files also played the same
> way, NOW only the audio portion of the wmv file plays.
>

> I KNOW......
>
> I can right click on the file......blah blah blah
>
> I can open the attachment with many other programs ........ blah
> blah blah
>

> THIS IS NOT WANT I AM ASKING
>
> You seem to claim it is a security problem, is this a guess or what?
>
> I am not asking for the file to automatically start playing when i
> open the email, I would just like to click on the play button and
> actually WATCH the WMV clip, just like it used to do.
>

> Charlie

No, it was not a guess. It is part of Apple's preparedness for the
future. Google something like :    Apple, virus, graphic     and you
will get examples like this.  http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article731986.ece

Ways to prevent it are examples of the new changes in Mail.  If you
want the old way, shut off Apple's Software Update and and move
backward one update.

I apologize for responding to your question and will digress. I will
leave all future responses to others who may be more informed.