[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Thu Oct 2 19:44:23 PDT 2008

On 10/2/08 8:28 PM, Andrew Lynch wrote:

> So, if you forget to leave it on the server on one machine, it is not
> available on the other.

Well, "if" you forgot -- but it's an account setting, so once you set it,
it's done.

> And if you have left it on the server on both
> machines, but decide you want to delete it, you need to delete it on
> each machine and psossibly the server as well?

Nope, that's not how it works. You change the setting in the account on one
computer, and the messages will be deleted from the server the next time
that computer pings the server. Or, you can set the mail to be deleted after
X amount of time, so that you never need to futz with the settings.

> For me, IMAP just does
> the right thing and I don't have to think about it or remember the
> state of individual email messages and their locations.

And as a result of this discussion, I can see the shortfalls of IMAP in a
situation like mine.

~Linda