[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Fri Oct 3 07:35:04 PDT 2008

On 10/3/08 2:50 AM, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:

> I don't get
> why you don't use IMAP instead,

If you've read the thread, you have read what I've said. I don't want the
two computers' email to end up being identical and I'm told if I delete mail
on one computer it will update the other computer to match -- and I don't
want that, I want to keep a copy of some mail on one computer but not the
other. I'm told it's cumbersome to deal with attachments -- and I do that
every day, many times a day. I'm told I have to undertake an extra step to
move mail to an "on my Mac" folder, and POP does that for me automagically
-- no extra "move" on my part required (I have automatic filing into at
least 30 different folders; if I have to judge each incoming mail's content
and do that by hand, I'd scream). I have mail going back for some
in=progress projects four and five years; with IMAP that mail is kept on the
server, filling it up, rather than on my much larger hard disk.

It's not the end of the world for IMAP users if I don't convert. Trust me,
this week I've read enough posts that have convinced me beyond a shadow of a
doubt that it really would be more work and less convenient for me to try to
use IMAP in my workflow. I don't get why this is such an issue for
IMAPpers... :)

~Linda