[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 14:50:09 PDT 2008

> If you've read the thread, you have read what I've said. I don't want the
> two computers' email to end up being identical and I'm told if I delete mail
> on one computer it will update the other computer to match -- and I don't
> want that, I want to keep a copy of some mail on one computer but not the
> other. I'm told it's cumbersome to deal with attachments -- and I do that
> every day, many times a day. I'm told I have to undertake an extra step to
> move mail to an "on my Mac" folder, and POP does that for me automagically
> -- no extra "move" on my part required (I have automatic filing into at
> least 30 different folders; if I have to judge each incoming mail's content
> and do that by hand, I'd scream). I have mail going back for some
> in=progress projects four and five years; with IMAP that mail is kept on the
> server, filling it up, rather than on my much larger hard disk.
>
> It's not the end of the world for IMAP users if I don't convert. Trust me,
> this week I've read enough posts that have convinced me beyond a shadow of a
> doubt that it really would be more work and less convenient for me to try to
> use IMAP in my workflow. I don't get why this is such an issue for
> IMAPpers... :)

Sorry if I offended you. That really was not my aim. It wasn't my
intention to suggest you had to convert to IMAP, just given the reasons
you have I still don't really get why you jump through the POP hopes you
do. Yes I have read them all. But lets end this discussion here as
clearly you are perfectly happy with POP and that is all that matters.

One thing though, just to set the record straight. IMAP has absolutely
no problems what so ever with attachments. Whoever told you it is
cumbersome is just incorrect (IMHO).

cheers Chris