[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Aron S.Spencer aron at r8ix.com
Mon Oct 6 17:15:10 PDT 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Linda wrote:

> On 10/3/08 2:50 AM, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:
>
>> I don't get
>> why you don't use IMAP instead,
>
> If you've read the thread, you have read what I've said. I don't
> want the
> two computers' email to end up being identical and I'm told if I
> delete mail
> on one computer it will update the other computer to match -- and I
> don't
> want that, I want to keep a copy of some mail on one computer but
> not the
> other

Partially true; the mail that is on the server will show identically
between the two computers, but since the "On my Mac" portion is not
synchronized with the server, it can be different between the two
computers.

> . I'm told it's cumbersome to deal with attachments -- and I do that
> every day, many times a day.

False. Dealing with attachments is easy.

> I'm told I have to undertake an extra step to
> move mail to an "on my Mac" folder, and POP does that for me
> automagically
> -- no extra "move" on my part required (I have automatic filing into
> at
> least 30 different folders; if I have to judge each incoming mail's
> content
> and do that by hand, I'd scream).

False. Mail will maintain a local copy of the mail.

> I have mail going back for some
> in=progress projects four and five years; with IMAP that mail is
> kept on the
> server, filling it up, rather than on my much larger hard disk.

My space on the server is significantly larger than my free space on
my hard disk.

> It's not the end of the world for IMAP users if I don't convert.
> Trust me,
> this week I've read enough posts that have convinced me beyond a
> shadow of a
> doubt that it really would be more work and less convenient for me
> to try to
> use IMAP in my workflow. I don't get why this is such an issue for
> IMAPpers... :)

No skin off our backs, but just want to make sure you're getting
correct information.