[X4U] Damn Comcast

David Brostoff listaddr at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 7 09:01:11 PDT 2008

At 9:46 AM -0400 on 10/6/08, wilkinw wrote:

>I really feel embarrassed about this and should know this. Got an
>email from Comcast stating that they have blocked port 25 for spam.
>I don't spam, the only other users of my computer is my wife who
>only uses yahoo email. So I know that Mac Mail uses port 25. How
>would this happen?

You are not alone--the same thing happened to me a few months ago. I
think it was probably because a zombie computer was sending spam
using my e-mail address as sender.

The easy fix was to configure my e-mail program to use port 587. (As
far as I know, this allows authentication, preventing someone else
from using your e-mail address.)

David