[X4U] Damn Comcast

David Brostoff listaddr at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 8 13:11:21 PDT 2008

At 12:48 PM -0600 on 10/8/08, Robert MacLeay wrote:

>Today, I received a form letter (Comcast Customer Security Assurance Notice)
>with return address <abuse-noreply at comcast.net> telling me that "Comcast has
>determined that your computer(s) have been used to send unsolicited email
>("spam"), which is generally an indicator of a virus. For your own
>protection and that of other Comcast customers, we have taken steps to
>prevent further transmission of spam from your computer(s)."

Yes--this is the letter they send if you are using port 25 and
someone sends spam using your return address. The problem is not on
your computer so you can of course ignore their antivirus software
instructions.

Since you say you have been using port 587, I am not sure why you are
having a problem, though.

You might try calling Comcast. Surprisingly, almost all the
representatives I have spoken with have been knowledgeable and
helpful, especially if you are friendly toward them. I found this out
when I had to help an elderly friend with a problem he was having.
That is in fact why I decided to try them.

David