[X4U] Damn Comcast/and Charter

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Wed Oct 8 16:05:16 PDT 2008

On 10/8/08 2:38 PM, Konrad Waibel wrote:

> My experience with Charter is a general server connection slowdown
> since May, not 24/7 but at interesting West coast [PDT/ GMT-0700]
> times, say late afternoon or mid-morning, and mostly M-F.

The nature of cable is that you and everyone else on your "node" share the
same signal. The more people using signal on your node, the smaller your
slice of bandwidth. Time of day slowdowns make sense if there are office
buildings or other businesses on your node, who'd be using the 'Net when
they get to work and just before they go home, M-F.

I had Charter here in WI until I gave them up two years ago in favor of
AT&T/SBC Global DSL. With DSL, it's my line and my signal all the way
"home", and I'm only sharing with the other computers in my home, not all
the other users in my "node". Even though the advertised speed of Charter
was higher in this area, my actual speed (speakeasy, dslreports, etc.) is
higher with DSL.

Plus the highest tier of speed on the DSL is less expensive than Charter
was. Win, win, win.