[X4U] Book Indexing Software?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 10 07:54:12 PDT 2008

At 9:30 AM -0500 10/10/08, Linda wrote:
>On 10/10/08 9:19 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>  I was asked the following question the other day and I haven't a
>>  clue.  Of course the software the person is talking about ran on DOS.
>>  Any ideas?
>
>There's indexing software out there. CINDEX is the one I hear referred to
>most often on the publishing lists to which I subscribe.
><http://www.asindexing.org/site/software.shtml>
>
>No substitute for the real thing -- that being people who know what to look
>for, doing it -- but handy tools nonetheless. I'm not sure that any software
>does *everything* your friend is looking for, though -- in my experience
>there are no substitutes for some human intervention at some stages of the
>process. YMMV; after 24 years in the publishing biz, I realized recently I
>am a curmudgeon.

I believe the request for information was in regards to creating
indexes published Genealogy works.  At least I know that the person
was doing such things years ago.  As I understand what they asked
for, they're looking for something to format the information they
type in, not something that will automatically generate an index
based on an electronic copy of the document.

I'll forward on the info on CINDEX, but after checking the price I
suspect they'll go with MS Excel (somehow that scares me).

Zane