[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

John Masters johnmasters at me.com
Wed Oct 15 14:13:50 PDT 2008

On 15 Oct 2008, at 15:41, Jim Robertson wrote:

> On 10/6/08 5:15 PM, "Aron S.Spencer" <aron at r8ix.com> wrote:
>
>> Partially true; the mail that is on the server will show identically
>> between the two computers, but since the "On my Mac" portion is not
>> synchronized with the server, it can be different between the two
>> computers.
>
> Sorry to resurrect a seemingly-completed discussion, but the very
> fact of
> how I encountered it makes me wonder if IMAP is for me.
>
> Sometimes my only chance to catch up with my voluminous backlog of
> listserv
> digests is when I'm "off the grid" as far as internet connectivity is
> concerned. My understanding from this discussion is that if I had my
> X4U
> digests in an IMAP account and hadn't "read" them once at least by
> opening
> them, I wouldn't be ABLE to read them until I was back from my rural
> hiding
> place. IMAP might be for me if there were a way to have it
> automatically
> download the messages themselves when I connect to the mail server.
> In my
> case, the benefit of IMAP would be synchronization across multiple
> computers, which I manage now manually using Entourage 2004 and
> Synchronize!
> Pro X.

Well obviously you have to be connected to access your incoming
emails. However, if you are meaning 'Can I download my messages and
read them later when I am offline?' then certainly. Plus, if you are
prepared to use the terminal, there is a great open source app called
'offlineimap' that will allow you to sync any number of mail accounts.

http://software.complete.org/software/wiki/offlineimap/

Changes made offline will propagate to all configured boxes when
reconnecting.

--
Regards, John