[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Oct 15 07:41:27 PDT 2008

On 10/6/08 5:15 PM, "Aron S.Spencer" <aron at r8ix.com> wrote:

> Partially true; the mail that is on the server will show identically
> between the two computers, but since the "On my Mac" portion is not
> synchronized with the server, it can be different between the two
> computers.

Sorry to resurrect a seemingly-completed discussion, but the very fact of
how I encountered it makes me wonder if IMAP is for me.

Sometimes my only chance to catch up with my voluminous backlog of listserv
digests is when I'm "off the grid" as far as internet connectivity is
concerned. My understanding from this discussion is that if I had my X4U
digests in an IMAP account and hadn't "read" them once at least by opening
them, I wouldn't be ABLE to read them until I was back from my rural hiding
place. IMAP might be for me if there were a way to have it automatically
download the messages themselves when I connect to the mail server. In my
case, the benefit of IMAP would be synchronization across multiple
computers, which I manage now manually using Entourage 2004 and Synchronize!
Pro X.

Jim Robertson