[X4U] DVD-ROM not found.

Bob Aldridge aldridgebob63 at knology.net
Fri Oct 17 19:19:01 PDT 2008

Need some help with this one:

My sister-in-law has an iMac G4 1.25Ghz 17² LCD USB 2.0 with 10.4.11.

The internal DVD-ROM CD-RW died awhile back so she purchased a Sony external
DVD-ROM CD-RW USB 2.0 to take its place.

Everything was working fine.

Recently, she had some bad sectors on her HD (5 yrs old anyhow), so I
purchased her a new HD, installed it and while I had the case open, I
removed the broken internal DVD-ROM CD-RW. Installed a fresh 10.4.11

System profiler can see the USB Sony DVD-ROM CD-RW, but when a disk is
installed, or when I open Apple DVD player, it says a disk drive cannot be
found.

The DVD can be seen on the desktop.

System prefs is configured to open Apple DVD player when a DVD is inserted.

I hooked the new Sony drive to my setup (iMac G5 2.0) and the drive works
fine when I put in a DVD.

Would removing the old broken DVD-ROM drive from the G4 cause the new
external Sony not to work??

Any suggestion? I checked Sony¹s site and there is no d/l¹s for the drive.

Thanks,

--Bob Aldridge
Huntsville, AL