[X4U] Trying to get a Mac Laptop approved - Part 3

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 17 21:51:53 PDT 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Ken Schneider wrote:

> -- Continued from Part 2 --
>
> - If a machine problem occurs I have no way or trying to re-create
> that issue because your machine is unique to our company. With
> everyone using Dell and XP, it's a company standard and therefore
> can test and resolve user issues without user downtime. If you use
> a unique Mac, we have no other platform to test issues.

I would suggest that the person is toeing the company line. Now
whether he helped create it or just obeying "she who must be obeyed"
are two different items that will have to be attacked separately.

This is a tough nut to crack and its not clear its winnable (in your
environment). You are the one that is going to have to take the time
and spend the hours doing the research. Do NOT expect the IT people
to do this as they will stack the odds against you. If you do not
have the time to do this then maybe its time to decide whether  its
worth the battle or not. I do not want to sound like a defeatist but
you will probably loose. If your company is small then you have a
decent chance of winning if its large then basically forget it and
move on to either a better job or be prepared (as someone else put
it) "assimilated".

Ed

ps: BTW I was in a (large) DELL environment 10+ years ago. When I
asked for more memory I just couldn't ask for 4 MEG for Model X. I
had to in addition give a serial number and a date that the computer
was built so Dell could figure out what memory I needed. I do *NOT*
know if this has changed but if DELL is still sending out PC's  and
made different  by the day. That is a MAJOR reason, IMO to drop *ANY*
manufacturer. Memory is cheap and there is no need to vary it by date.