[X4U] can't save html file being viewed by browser

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Thu Oct 23 15:54:21 PDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 1:22 PM, zapcat wrote:

> I thought I'd help my web page workflow by "proofing" my page with
> Safari on another Mac on my ethernet network.
> This way, I can have the browser window fully open on the proofing
> Mac, and the code window fully open on the authoring Mac.
>
> It works pretty well except that sometimes, when I try to save my
> code file (text wrangler) I get a warning of some OS X error, and
> that the document is being used by another application. I do not
> always get this error/warning.
>
> Is there something I can do to stop this from happening? I don't
> feel that a browser looking at a web page is the same kind of "use"
> as say, having an InDesign doc opened on one Mac on a network, then
> trying to open and work on the same doc on another Mac on the same
> network.
>
> To me, the difference, is that Safari isn't going to write to the
> code document.

Are you 'serving' that webpage to the browser on the other Mac or is
the other Mac just accessing the same file through a
share?

If the other Mac is accessing the file from a share, try turning on
the webserver on the mac you are coding on and have the other Mac view
the web page as intended.
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net