[X4U] Ical, disk permissions, and I am stumped...

LA Licata lalicata at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Sep 14 07:59:59 PDT 2008

Hi!

Running 10.4.11, 17" PB G4. Recently installed ITunes 8.0 and
Quicktime 7.5.5. So, eveything is up-to-date.

It seems that every time I run disk permissions repair, I get the
following.

Repairing permissions for “Leeze HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
User differs on ./Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/App-
empty.icns, should be 0, owner is 501
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iCal.app/Contents/
Resources/App-empty.icns
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/
App-empty.icns
User differs on ./Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/App.icns,
should be 0, owner is 501
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iCal.app/Contents/
Resources/App.icns
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/
App.icns
Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Unquote

This is only happening on ICal (version 2.0.5).

I have not a clue what is changing ICal to owner 501 (which happens
to be my main account). I have run Tinkertool Systems and deleted
lots of stuff. I have started up in safe boot and repaired
permissions, I have even started up on an external drive and repaired
permissions on the internal drive.

I also have done everything on Randy Singer's OS10.4 maintenance
checklist (thanks Randy!) except defrag the hard drive.

Still, something is causing ICal to change owners.

Might someone have a suggestion on what I should try next?

Thanks in advance and thanks for listening.

lee