[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Tim Collier tim.collier at mac.com
Tue Sep 30 12:49:41 PDT 2008

On 9/30/08 12:53 PM, Linda said:

> On 9/30/08 11:26 AM, Andrew T. Lynch wrote:
>
>> This is a pretty good description of IMAP vs POP
>
> I read a bunch of the IMAP vs POP sites before I asked my question. Now I'm
> asking the *benefits* of IMAP. I know what it is, but I can't tell from all
> of these pages what the benefits are. For example, if I want to access an
> email from one year ago, with IMAP I have to leave it on the server, right?
> The server will fill up eventually. I just don't see the benefits of IMAP
> over POP, given how they both work, and was hoping someone could explain the
> benefits of IMAP.

I can tell you what the benefit of IMAP over POP3 is for me.  With most POP3
accounts, the message is removed from the server when you access it unless
you specifically tell it to leave a copy on the server.  My default has
always been to download it and then I only have a copy on ONE computer.
I have Mobileme (formerly .Mac) and I must have nearly 5000 messages stored
on Apple's server.  These messages are available from any computer and are
always there.  Some of the things I keep there are important and I have them
stored in various folders on the server.  I always back up my local data,
but there is always the danger of data loss.  I like the fact that I can
keep my important mail on the server in Apple's facilities.  Plus, as I
said, these are accessible from any computer, fully searchable, etc, etc.

--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig 4 gig RAM