[X4U] SuperDupper question

David Brostoff listaddr at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 19 20:02:59 PDT 2009

At 4:43 PM -0400 on 3/26/09, Neil Laubenthal wrote:
>I'm not narrow minded at all . . .I just believe in being precise
>and accurate . . .it comes from 20 years of nuclear submarine
>experience where lack of precision and accuracy can get you and your
>ship killed. As a full time professional system administrator now
>though . . .I think I can figure out what a backup is and what a
>clone is. Note that I did not say SD was worthless . . .nor did I
>say that a clone was worthless . . .just that it's not a backup.
><snip>
>
>Same thing . . .google for the difference between backups and clones
>like I just did and you'll find that the vast majority of the
>references (except for SD) that do what SD does call it a clone and
>not a backup. Programs that claim to do backup tend to have things
>like versioning and better network destination support and tape
>support and CD support and so on.
>
>You can call it what you want though if it makes you feel better about it.
>
>And as I also said . . .cloning has a place in an integrated Backup
>Stragegy . . . as does backup . . .as does offsite storage.
>
>Any competent professional who runs computer systems for a living
>would be fired if he/she just cloned drives and called it backup
>(actually, if he/she did that he/she would be neither competent or a
>professional).

Citing your work credentials and Google references to cloning do not
answer the question of whether a copy (clone) of a hard drive--or of
any data for that matter--constitute a backup or not.

A single hard-drive copy (clone) may not be a sufficient backup
strategy, but that does not mean that such a clone is not a backup.

David