[X4U] Time Machine

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Mon Apr 20 16:49:49 PDT 2009

I'm having some issues with Time Machine backups recently, tried most
of the troubleshooting fixes that google turned up but no dice so
far . . .so I figured I would ask if anybody has an idea for something
else to try.

My wife and I have MBPs; both connecting via an 802.11n Airport
Extreme and both running 10.5.6 with all the latest patches. I have a
mini running 10.5.6 serving up a fileshare named TMBackups, both
laptops are set to use this as their destination and both laptops are
set to backup just /Users and not the whole drive. This has been
working fine for quite awhile. Both laptops are used day to day with a
non-admin account. The name/password used to connect the fileshare is
an admin user on the mini and I've verified that the directory being
shared has Everyone R/W permissions.

Hers is still working fine . . .but mine just sits there are preparing
forever.

Stuff I've tried. Mounting the sparse image on the mini's desktop
(with the laptop asleep) and running Disk Utility on it (no errors).
Tried deleting the invisible file with the MAC address on it . . . it
gets recreated but no help. Tried setting up a completely new share on
the mine, set the permissions . . . no dice. Completely turned off
Time Machine on the laptop, rebooted and reset it up . . . no dice.
Nuked the com.apple.timemachine.plist . . . it gets recreated but
still no dice.

Have I missed anything obvious . . .hers continues to backup just fine
throughout?