[X4U] Mail.app Scales Graphics and Videos

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 14:08:09 PDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> Why?  Have you heard anything about Safari having any effect on Mail?

I had a problem with Mail when I downloaded and used Safari 4. At the
first run of Mail after installing Safari 4, something got messed up
and Mail didn't recognize most of my previously downloaded messages. I
ended up having to manually delete thousands of duplicate messages.
Once I got that cleared up, I quit and restarted Mail. This time mail
hung. I assumed it was an errant message and used my browser to log
onto my ISP and deleted all of my latest messages. Restarted Mail and
it hung again. After some searching on the net I discovered that on
some machines Mail has problems. It seems that Safari 4 uses an
updated WebKit framework that Mail also uses. Not sure which site I
discovered this on. Anyway, the solution was to uninstall Safari 4
using the uninstaller that came with Safari 4 Beta. I did that and
Mail started behaving the way it should. I still don't have Safari 4
installed because of that issue.

My thought, in your case, was that if the WebKit framework is
involved, maybe, just maybe it could affect how the attachments get
treated. Knowing your Mac capabilities, I only provided what I thought
would be a "fringe" solution. Boy, was I wrong!

One other solution that I haven's seen posted yet is a reinstall of
the Mail application, either via Time Machine or Pacifist.