[X4U] Evil Google

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 21:41:30 PST 2009

On 2/20/09,  Ed Gould <edgould1948 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2009, at 1:32 AM, John Baltutis wrote:
>> On 2/18/09,  Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be> wrote:
>>>
>>> <http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/02/why-googles-sof.html>
>>

>> Much ado about nothing. Disable com.google.keystone.agent.plist and
>> com.google.keystone.daemon.plist and Google Earth 5 runs without
>> phoning home, despite what the article purports.
>
> For those of us who are not MAC inclined what does "disable" mean?
> Delete? rename? I cannot find anything for disable plist.

Since this is a Mac (not MAC) list, I assumed that all members were Mac
inclined-my bad. Disable means to deactivate it; the opposite of enable. In
this case, move them from the places that they were stored:
/Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/. The long-standing way on
Macs is to create a folder at the same location, with the same name, and append
"(Disabled)" w/o the quotes to the name =>LaunchAgents (Disabled) and
LaunchDaemons (Disabled), respectively.