[X4U] Evil Google

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 22:29:47 PST 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 11:41 PM, John Baltutis wrote:

> On 2/20/09,  Ed Gould <edgould1948 at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Much ado about nothing. Disable com.google.keystone.agent.plist and
>>> com.google.keystone.daemon.plist and Google Earth 5 runs without
>>> phoning home, despite what the article purports.
>>
>> For those of us who are not MAC inclined what does "disable" mean?
>> Delete? rename? I cannot find anything for disable plist.
>
> Since this is a Mac (not MAC) list, I assumed that all members were
> Mac
> inclined-my bad. Disable means to deactivate it; the opposite of
> enable. In
> this case, move them from the places that they were stored:
> /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/. The long-
> standing way on
> Macs is to create a folder at the same location, with the same
> name, and append
> "(Disabled)" w/o the quotes to the name =>LaunchAgents (Disabled) and
> LaunchDaemons (Disabled), respectively.

Thanks for explaining it to me. I have seen the disabled next to
folders but not files. But I guess it would be the same.

As to the Mac vs MAC I would like to apologize I have a health
condition that really impairs my typing and other issues (like
spelling) BTW I noticed that I had 5 typos in the first part of the
sentence and I had to go back and change the errors. Again I
apologize. Email used to be easy but with stopping and having to look
for misspelled words it cuts my response time to a crawl.

Ed