[X4U] Program that opens but quickly closes

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jan 5 13:26:47 PST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 4:23 AM, James Hurley wrote:

> I just got a copy of acrobat professional with a SnapScan scanner.
> It installed fine and it opens, but almost as quickly closes. Same
> on two different computers.

Whenever an application starts quitting unexpectedly in OS X, the
problem is most often caused by a corrupted user preferences file.

OS X 10.4 and above ordinarly handles this automatically if you
immediately try to restart the application. If it hasn't handled it,
or if you are running an earlier version of OS X...

I would first try:

Preferential Treatment (free)
http://www.jonn8.com/html/pt.html

If that doesn't help, I would create a new user with admistrative
rights, log in as that new user, and see if the problem continues. If
it does, your problem is not user preferences related. If things are
better, chances are that your problem is user preferences related.

If the problem is likely not preferences related, I would try
launching the offending program during a Safe Boot.

If the problem is likely user preferences related, I would try
manually uninstalling the ".plist" files for the offending
application, found in:

~/Library/Preferences/
(Note that this is in your Users folder, in the folder with your user
name.)

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html