[X4U] From PC to Mac

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Mon Jan 12 12:32:41 PST 2009

What's he reading his mail with now? Take a look at the export options
and compare them to the import options in Mail and Address Book.

Mail can usually be exported into an mbox file or something that Mail
can import . . .as an alternative (and depending on how much mail he's
got to transfer as well as if it's IMAP or not) . . .IMAP mail lives
on the server so it's a simple matter to connect Mail to the IMAP
account and slurp down a copy. If he isn't using IMAP . . . then
getting a free gmail account, setting it up for IMAP, and copying the
mail there thence down to Mail also works.

For addresses; Address Book will import ldif files so that's probably
the easiest way to go.

There are a couple of commercial PC to Mac transfer programs that I'm
vaguely aware of . . . as well as a couple of free/shareware apps on
versiontracker and the like that will probably also provide some
assistance.

Finally . . . the Take Control series of ebooks put out by the Tidbits
folks (www.takecontrolbooks.com) offers a $10 pdf ebook that walks
even novice users through all of this . . . it includes some bits
about UI differences, etc that make the transition a little easier.
I've not personally looked at this particular Take Control book . .
.but have several others and the series are pretty good stuff typically.

--
neil