[X4U] From PC to Mac

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 14:02:59 PST 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Neil Laubenthal wrote:

> What's he reading his mail with now? Take a look at the export
> options and compare them to the import options in Mail and Address
> Book.
>
> Mail can usually be exported into an mbox file or something that
> Mail can import . . .as an alternative (and depending on how much
> mail he's got to transfer as well as if it's IMAP or not) . . .IMAP
> mail lives on the server so it's a simple matter to connect Mail to
> the IMAP account and slurp down a copy. If he isn't using
> IMAP . . . then getting a free gmail account, setting it up for
> IMAP, and copying the mail there thence down to Mail also works.
>
> For addresses; Address Book will import ldif files so that's
> probably the easiest way to go.
>
> There are a couple of commercial PC to Mac transfer programs that
> I'm vaguely aware of . . . as well as a couple of free/shareware
> apps on versiontracker and the like that will probably also provide
> some assistance.
>
> Finally . . . the Take Control series of ebooks put out by the
> Tidbits folks (www.takecontrolbooks.com) offers a $10 pdf ebook
> that walks even novice users through all of this . . . it includes
> some bits about UI differences, etc that make the transition a
> little easier. I've not personally looked at this particular Take
> Control book . . .but have several others and the series are pretty
> good stuff typically.
>

> --
> neil

Neil:

I did something similar when I converted from OS2 to MAC 10 years
ago. I also bought a program that would take MS Formated email to MAC
mail when I converted. All in all its pretty painless when you find
the right tool. One thing that I found daunting was to find the right
MAC MAIL app preferences that converted MAC MAIL to any other email
preferences. It can be done (I did it novice that I was at the time
but ended up with a hand from a friend). All in all a pretty painless
exercise. One thing that I still miss in MAC MAIL is that in EUDORA
after closing the email message it automatically went to the next
email. I really liked that feature and really sorely miss that
functionality in MAIL.app. That is the major issue there are others
of course, but I do like mail (most of the time) it is not exactly
bullet proof but fairly stable none the less.

I finally had to ditch EUDORA as it was crashing on me several times
a day (and taking OS9 along with it). The developers said that it was
a "known" bug and it would require a complete redesign  of EUDORA to
fix. It was around that time that EUDORA's future was bleak as they
were talking about going to a yearly subscription cost. So that
pretty well killed EUDORA for me.

Ed