[X4U] Mail Rules sorting

Richard H Stoddard richardstoddard at mac.com
Thu Jan 15 16:39:16 PST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:16:18 -0500, Ken Johnson wrote:
> Aliases?  How do you do that - keep changing your e-mail account name?

If you have a MobileMe account, go to mail, and then preferences, where
you will find the aliases tab. You can also start in Mail Preferences
-> Accounts, where you will find "Edit Email Aliases..." under the
email address; however, this then takes you to the MobileMe login
screen.

You can create up to five aliases. They function like separate email
addresses in that you can send/receive using them, but mail addressed
to an alias arrives in your inbox just like mail addressed to your main
address.

I have a couple of aliases. I use one for banking and e-commerce with
businesses with which I have long-standing relationships and which have
meaningful privacy policies. I use the second for when I'm asked for an
email address on a site. After awhile, the second address usually
starts accumulating spam. At some point I just create a new alias and
delete the old one.

It's important to note that your main account address does not change.
But you can be selective in to whom you give it. As I said earlier, I
receive fewer than one/day, whereas before getting my .Mac account and
setting up aliases I was received 75-100/day.