[X4U] iTunes information extractor

Kirk McElhearn kirkmc at mac.com
Sun Jan 18 12:28:12 PST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 9:24 PM, Craig A. Finseth wrote:

> I'm trying to split up my iTunes library between the ones that I
> purchased and the ones that my son purchased.
>
> I'm looking for information that can be run in bulk over my library
> (~15,000 songs).  I'd like it to report on some combination of:
>
> - did I rip it myself, or was it purchased from iTunes?

Smart playlist, with the Kind property.

> - if the latter, who purchased it (presumably email address in the
>  metadata)?

You can do that in the Finder, with a smart folder.

> - as a bonus, it would be nice if it could report on the bitrate
>  and/or iTunes Plus status.

Bitrate will show in any playlist.

> Output should be lists of (full path) filenames (so that I can hand it
> off to shell scripts to do the heavy file and volume stuff).

After you've found the files, just drag them, in the Finder, to a new
window/folder to copy them.

Kirk
           Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html