[X4U] Pros and Cons of Time Capsule?

Bill Calamita list at calamita.com
Mon Jan 26 05:09:16 PST 2009

I use Time Capsule for my MBP backups here at my home.
-Pros: It is automatic, continuous, transparent and happens multiple times a
day.
-Cons: It still seems a little flakey, even after the software updates that
have happened since its introduction.  I've had two occasions (in less than
a year) that the drive failed and had to be reformatted.

I also use SuperDuper for a weekly back-up to a FW HD.
-Pros: It is bootable.  It is really reliable.  The company and software are
mature.  After the backup I can look at the directory structure and say to
myself that the backup really is there, which is something you can't do with
TC.
-Cons: The drive needs to be connected directly to the computer to make a
bootable backup, which is a tad more involved than with TC's wireless
backups.

Finally, to be a little paranoid, I also make a separate SuperDuper backup
about monthly that I keep at a relatives home "off site" in case there is
some catastrophic incident (fire, theft etc.) at my home.