[X4U] I have an Iphone question and a google search has not helped find an answer to my question so....

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Jan 29 10:12:35 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:39:28AM CST, LA Licata <lalicata at alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

> I have a chance to legally buy an iPhone that is legally unlocked and
> can be used on any GSM carrier.
>
> The question I have is when Apple sends out an iPhone update, could that
> update "lock" or "brick" this phone.
>
> For what it is worth, the country where this legally unlocked iPhone is
> being sold does NOT have an iTunes web site so software updates would
> have to come from the USA's ITunes web site. Have not checked if this is
> allowed per any and all software and hardware licenses.

I had little luck with Google.  But it would make sense that whereever
Apple sells legitimate unlock iPhones, Apple also provides legitimate
software updates via iTunes.  The no-iTunes-web-site bit sounds fishy.
Depending on how you interpret the law, it is *legal* to unlock the
iPhone in many countries, including the U.S.  So is the seller Apple
or an official GSM carrier?  Or is the seller someone who is "legally"
unlocking iPhones in a country that does not sell (and therefore does
not get any legitimate support for) iPhones?

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/