[X4U] External HD: 750 gig to 699 when formatted. Why???

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Thu Jun 11 06:05:35 PDT 2009

You have been bitten by 'marketing speak' used by most if not all of
the hard drive manufacturers. They report the size of the drives using
1 gig to mean 1000 megabytes while the computer looks at 1 gig as 1024
megabytes. So much of the problem comes in converting from base 2 to
base 10.

Plus there is a fairly large amount of 'house keeping' space used up
on the drive to account for the difference in size. :)

Jens