[X4U] External HD: 750 gig to 699 when formatted. Why???

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Thu Jun 11 07:31:39 PDT 2009

   I bought a SimpleTech 750gig external HD. It was Windows formatted in =20=
   the first place. Once mounted, info window showed the drive had 699 =20
   gig free. As suggested in the instruction manual (and as should be =20
   done) anyway), I reformated the drive Mac OS Extended journaled. =20
   Still 699 gig free. Is there a way te recover this huge amount of =20
   lost gig? What are they used for and by what (whom)? Are there some =20
   hidden Windows programs and files left on the HD. If so, how to et =20
   rid of them to recover that space?

The 750GBytes is the raw capacity.  After formatting, 699GBytes
avaialable space is typical.

This is normal.

Craig