[X4U] External HD: 750 gig to 699 when formatted. Why???

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Jun 11 16:31:06 PDT 2009

>Hello,
>I bought a SimpleTech 750gig external HD. It was Windows formatted
>in the first place. Once mounted, info window showed the drive had
>699 gig free. As suggested in the instruction manual (and as should
>be done) anyway), I reformated the drive Mac OS Extended journaled.
>Still 699 gig free. Is there a way te recover this huge amount of
>lost gig? What are they used for and by what (whom)? Are there some
>hidden Windows programs and files left on the HD. If so, how to et
>rid of them to recover that space?
>
>First, I wanted to format the drivve with the "zero" option in Disk
>Utility but it told me ot would take 7 hours and I didn't want to
>wait. This is the very first external HD I buy.

That's the overhead caused by the formatting of the disk. ALL disks
show much lower available space after formatting.

As for 7 hours to zero the disk? That would be about normal. Just do
it overnight. It has to write over every single bit of 750 GB. That's
a LOT. Consider how long it takes to copy one gigabyte of data, then
figure how long to write 750 GB.  Just do it overnight.

Daly