[X4U] Hard Freeze Turned Login Screen Pinstripped

Neil lists at mac.com
Wed Jun 24 21:25:23 PDT 2009

I had a hard freeze on Sunday on my G5/2x2 PowerMac running 10.5.6.  I
could move the mouse, but nothing else on the system responded.  The
dock wouldn't even unhide.  I couldn't force quit anything.  So, I
shut down the system using the button on the Mac.  When I tried to
start the Mac, I got to the login screen, but it had a pinstripe and
then froze on the screen with the Apple, but no login screen.  I tried
booting with the shift key.  Same.  Then, I tried booting from the
internal back-up drive and a got a pinstriped screen with a question
marked folder, then the same freeze.  The same happened when I
attached a firewire boot drive and tried to boot holding cmd-opt-shift-
del.  Same result.  Any ideas?  Thanks.