[X4U] Re: X4U Digest, Vol 55, Issue 7

Ralph ralph at avatarbiz.com
Thu Mar 12 18:18:27 PDT 2009

Just to state it simply:

Paypal is NOT responsible IN ANY WAY for phishing attacks that mimic
their legitimate company emails.

Phishing is criminal activity. Paypal is as much a victim of the
crime as are its registered users who fall for the phishing.

I have received phishing emails claiming to be from Bank of America.
I have received others claiming to be from Wells Fargo.

Are these banks responsible for the phishing emails? NO. They are the
work of criminals, NOT the banks.

Is the existence of phishing evidence that these banks don't take
security seriously? NO. It says nothing whatsoever about their
security policies.

Did I get these emails because I have an account at one of the banks?
NO. I don't have accounts at either BofA or Wells.

To blame PayPal for the phishing you encountered is just plain wrong.
PayPal had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Ralph