[X4U] Re: X4U Digest, Vol 55, Issue 7

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 23:00:13 PDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 8:18 PM, Ralph wrote:

> Just to state it simply:
>
> Paypal is NOT responsible IN ANY WAY for phishing attacks that
> mimic their legitimate company emails.
>
> Phishing is criminal activity. Paypal is as much a victim of the
> crime as are its registered users who fall for the phishing.
>
> I have received phishing emails claiming to be from Bank of
> America. I have received others claiming to be from Wells Fargo.
>
> Are these banks responsible for the phishing emails? NO. They are
> the work of criminals, NOT the banks.
>
> Is the existence of phishing evidence that these banks don't take
> security seriously? NO. It says nothing whatsoever about their
> security policies.
>
> Did I get these emails because I have an account at one of the
> banks? NO. I don't have accounts at either BofA or Wells.
>
> To blame PayPal for the phishing you encountered is just plain
> wrong. PayPal had absolutely nothing to do with it.
>
> Ralph

Sorry I disagree. the phishers had to of broken into PAYPAL and got
email address somehow(other friend were getting the same emails as I
had been). I know this happened a year or two ago. I went to the
PAYPAL site to see if I could delete my account. I gave up. I
submitted a question to PAYPAL on how to delete my account. They
never answered back. Other companies I have dealt with delete
accounts with out any issue that is a major no no at paypal. If there
is a way it is so buried that after 2 hours I gave up trying. Other
business delete accounts all the time PAYPAL actually resists doing
this. If on the other hand there would be a simple way to delete your
account then we would not be having this discussion. At the time, I
sent a communication to PAYPAL asking about this "change" and I got
back a response  that it was a valid request. That was thew last
straw. Paypal can got pound pavement. I will never have anything to
do with them ever again especially after asking for my account to be
deleted and they would not.