[X4U] Re: Phishing

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Fri Mar 13 11:49:01 PDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 1:37 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2009, at 1:10 PM, Ralph wrote:
>
>> You're not listening, and you don't understand phishing.
>>
>> The email addresses DON'T come from the bank that's being attacked.
>> They come from lists that are circulated in the criminal community.
>> The phisher doesn't know that you have a PayPal account; he's just
>> betting that a certain percentage of the people on the list he's
>> using do have accounts.
>>
>> Think about it for a minute before you go off half-cocked again: I
>> told you that I got phishing emails purporting to be from Wells
>> Fargo and Bank of America, YET I DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT AT EITHER OF
>> THOSE BANKS. THEREFORE THEY WEREN'T HACKED TO GET MY EMAIL.
>>
>> You're needlessly spreading false information and FUD about PayPal.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> Full disclosure: I do not have any connection with PayPal or eBay.
>>

> I am sorry I *DO* understand *PHISHING*, it is you that does not
> understand.
> It is *FUNNY* that as soon as my account was deleted that the
> PHISHING stopped, isn't it? Or are you going to now say the stars
> have something to do with it?
> I suspect you have some connection with PAYPAL and are trying to
> minimize the issue.
> However if *YOU* want to keep this up I will not respond in the
> future.
> End of the so called conversation.
> Ed

Phishing is a cyber crime where someone tries to gain personal
information, particularly passwords, user names, credit card
information, SS#, etc, by PRETENDING to be a trusted source that they
are not. If there was a phishing attack associated with a genuine
PayPal account, perhaps that account's username and password was
stolen somehow.

Joe