[X4U] Re: Phishing

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at me.com
Fri Mar 13 17:26:31 PDT 2009

Except thats not what we are talking about. If the account has already
been hacked, then there wouldn't any more emails.

The issue that is still being explained to someone is that phishers
will send out mass emails disguised as Paypal or other companies
trying to trick people, knowing that only a (small?) percentage of
recipients will actually have a Paypal account.

This is similar to an email that I received last fall telling me that
my credit card information was out of date for .Mac. The timing of the
email was when the anniversary of .Mac's service startup was. So I was
ready to accept this email "from" Apple. Luckily, I checked the link
destination and saw that it didn't resolve to Apple's domain.

And I, too, get daily emails from phishers purporting to be from
banks, paypal, eBay, credit card companies, etc. And, no, those
businesses haven't been "hacked"--they are just random attempts to
fool you.

________

Sent from my iPhone...so replies might be short, and sometimes
"autocorrected" into gibberish.