[X4U] Apple Mail Password Issue

Bill Fox wfoxjr at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 20 13:53:04 PDT 2009

I've come across what appears to be an unsolvable problem with Mail.
Ever since my wife got a new Intel iMac running Tiger and I used
Migration Assistant to transfer her data from her older G5 iMac, Mail
refuses to "save" her password, i.e. every time she opens Mail after a
restart she has to enter her Mail password to use Mail.

I have tried many things. I have deleted the account and set up a new
one. I erased the drive and reinstalled Tiger and reimported her data
using Migration Assistant. I have deleted every plist that I can find
associated with Apple Mail. I have deleted her Keychain and every
plist that I can find associated with Keychain. The problem has
persisted through an upgrade to Leopard and an Archive and Install
with Leopard.

Maybe I haven't found the right plist to delete to fix this problem.
Does anyone have an idea other than using a fresh install of Leopard
and not using Miragtion Assistant which is obviously moving the bad
file along with all of her data? Thanks.

Bill